Monday, January 24, 2011

The Peaceable Pacifist - A World of Warcraft Experiment

Welcome to my blog.  Since you are here, let me introduce myself.  I am Peaceable, a Troll druid, born on Whisperwind.  My goal in life is to reach the highest levels of being, having never harmed or killed another living creature.   I live in a land full of violence, violence that I have sworn to avoid at all costs, even if it means "dying the little death" 100 times a day.  I shall live and grow by picking herbs, mining ore, surveying archaeological digs, and helping those few people that request my help in a non-violent way, and never by grouping with another that would kill something.

Today I reached level 5!  I have done a lot of exploring in this world of mine.  I have seen many places that few my level have dreamed of.  Already I have been to our great capital city, Orgrimmar, and I have also visited Silvermoon, Thunder Bluff, the Undercity, and many places in between.  My packs are FULL of copper ore, silverleaf, peacebloom, and earthroot. 

It seems the people who want my help without requesting me to kill something are few and far between, but I WAS able to help Thonk in Durotar find some missing friends with his spyglass.  It was a great day! 

The sun was shining and herbs to pick were plentiful, though the scorpids were not too happy to have me hanging around their plants, waiting for them to move out of my way.  Many chased me out of their territory, taking little bites as they went.  Luckily I can heal myself pretty easily.... one of the many reasons I trained as a druid.  An engineering friend of mine told me about a wonderful contraption that he can create, called a target dummy, if I would get him the materials for them.  I think the target dummy was made with me in mind!  I'll be able to distract those scorpids, no problem now!  Gathering the ore for the dummies will be no problem, but the cloth I will have to buy, as I will not be killing anything to gather it.  Ah well, I do not think it will be a problem... after all, I'll have plenty of money once I sell my herbs and ore in the auction house to buy all the wool cloth he needs.  I'll have to sit and have a long talk with him soon about other things he might be able to create to help me live a non-violent lifestyle.  I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time at the Inn, resting between my gathering forays. 

Sadly, I know I will likely never see the inside of a dungeon.  I will have to purchase every piece of armor I ever wear.  Luckily, I know some leather workers that can make some pretty good stuff for me, and I do not anticipate a shortage of money to buy the materials for what I need.

My next goal:
Level 10 - I'll get to prowl in cat form!  This should make sneaking around in a non-violent way much easier. I'll also be able to start looking at good talents to help my lifestyle.  Right now I'm thinking of going feral.  There are some very helpful things in that tree, like increased movement speed, more armor in bear form, increased dodge ability, etc.  I should also be able to start doing some cooking and fishing quests for people in Orgrimmar.

14 comments:

  1. I wish you luck getting to level cap. I'll be watching your progress :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It looks like I am not alone in reaching for the stars peacefully! I'm sure I'll get many ideas from:

    http://pacifistundeadpriest.blogspot.com/2007/07/world-of-warcraft-as-pacifist.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you can do it!

    You might want to Google "die the little death", though. While I don't doubt you'll be enjoying yourself, I bet it won't be THAT much... <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha... I do know the other use of that term, but thought it would do for this too. What else would you call it? Death in Azeroth is rarely a Big death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might want to consider rethinking the Cooking and Fishing Dailies as they tend to want you to kill things. Since there is no catch and release in the game, fishing will probably not work for what you are trying to accomplish. Good Luck in your Quest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, you can indeed see dungeons, you don't have to kill anything. Once you get to 15 you can level with dungeons and be the group healer.

    Of course, that means you are keeping people alive so they can kill, but it's someething.

    You inspired me to try this this evening, i made it to level 5, mostly by exploring. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Hope you luck :) i think what your doing is great and pretty fun to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what about undead? are they a "living" creature?

    ReplyDelete
  9. as she said earlier, she also does not want to group with anyone that plans to kill something. Which is why she won't visit dungeons. I am curious though, once you have reached the level cap, what are your plans from there?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I made it to level 9. I can see it is possible to do this without grouping up, butmi do not think I am patient enough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Power leveling without harming anyone isn't exciting after all. You need some adventure eh!

    Sell WoW Account

    ReplyDelete
  12. This totally sounds fun. I might have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you wear leather armor then you are profiting from the death of another creature. You should stick with cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree that leather and most fishing/cooking dailies involve killing.I would also say that resto (with points put in to feral when you get to a high level) would probably make it easier for you. Dual spec now is so cheap that you don't have much to lose giving it a try.

    Also would be interested to see if you could do well in Arathi Basin, Warsong Gultch etc simply by prowling around and capping flags. No need to kill anything.

    GL to 85

    ReplyDelete